Sunday, May 2, 2010

My cast

So this is my pretty purple cast. I didn't break my foot... I had surgery on 4-23-2010 for those of you who didn't know I had a tendo-Achilles lengthening done on my left leg. I have been trying to fix my leg for pretty close to 2 years. Basically i had a "charly horse" all the time in my left calf, (it was constantly in spasm mode) stretching, exercise, supplements ( I was deficient in iron,calcium and vitamin D), muscle relaxers, foot doctor, regular doctor, second opinions and on and on. Nothing really was working. So the last time I went in to the Foot Dr. He suggested that this was were we were at. I could have tried orthopedics but he didn't think that would solve the problem.
So long story short I got to have surgery. Apparently it is a semi-common procedure in children and adolescents but not very common in adults, (and it's a painful recovery) mostly because it shows up earlier. It is probably something I have always had, when I was little I would get the worst cramps in my legs and that never really went away. My doctor said that he was going to go in and give the tendon a little bit of length so that it could release the muscle spasms, after surgery he said that he couldn't believe how tight my tendon was, he had to lengthen it about 2" and that was conservative. The nice thing is that I haven't had any spasms in my leg!!! yay!!
So now I am sporting the cast until June 1st.

No comments: